Club History

 

** PLEASE DESCRIBE THIS IMAGE **

The Shakespeare Morris Men were formed in 1959, out of a Church Fellowship, whose lay preacher promoted Folk Dancing at the associated Primary School. The Shakespeare Morris Men were admitted to the national association of men's morris clubs, The Morris Ring, in 1965, after organising a Ring Meeting in 1964 for the Shakespeare Quatercentenary Celebrations, the first meeting of The Morris Ring of England ever to be staged by a non member club. A number of the original founder members still dance regularly.

The Shakespeare Morris Men perform dances mainly from the Cotswold 'Traditions', gathered from such local villages as Bledington, Fieldtown (Leafield), Bampton, and Adderbury.

The Shakespeare Morris Men are proud have strong ties with the nearby village of Bidford-on-Avon and the dances from this village form a significant element of all our public performances.

Recently, a Ladies Team has been formed and the club's name changed accordingly to Shakespeare Morris. The Ladies continue the club tradition of dancing Cotswold Morris using a selection of dances to complement the Men's repertoire, which includes the dances of the Bidford Tradition.


Website Produced by Sabre Web Design

free web page counters